Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pug-sessed

Or Three!!
I have a confession to make...I LOVE puggies...and it may be to the point of obsession!! :) We got our first smashed face sweetheart named Prissy when I was a little girl and unfortunately she only lived 3 years before we had to put her to sleep due to kidney failure. I got pug fever back then and it only grew from there. We grew to love our next pug Winston a few years later and adored his laid back with no care in the world attitude. After 11 years, he made the trip to heaven just about a year ago.

On my way home with my 10 week old baby girl!!
My first baby came to me in 2007. I had found an ad in the newspaper for fawn and all black pugs and called to see if they had an all black little girl and unfortunately they had already promised her to someone else. The breeder told me that if the man who was supposed to pick her up on his way through Nebraska didn't happen to call her that Friday she would call me. I really didn't expect to hear from her but that Friday evening as I was telling my friend Danielle and her pug Brinkley that I just might be a pug owner soon I got a call. The next day I was on my way to pick up my sweet Daisy Mae. I even had to get permission from my younger brother to skip out on his graduation ceremony so I could go get her. Luckily he is a pug lover and told me to go for it! He was the first one in my family to see and hold my baby girl. She is a chubby girl with lots of attitude, she will make it known when she is not happy.  Every time I try to leave the house she pulls on my pant legs to keep me from going. When Brad and I first started dating she even peed in his shoe when he spend the night...she didn't like that daddy was getting all of mommy's attention instead of her.

Snuggled up in my new home!
Next came my feisty girl. I was thinking that Daisy would be much happier with a friend when she was around 1 year old and had my heart on getting a Shih-Tzu. I started watching the newspaper and found an ad for a 1 year old black pug that was house trained. I called to find out more and found out that their little girl Snickers was a fire ball  and they were nervous that she would jump up on one of their daycare kids and knock them over. The next day I was picking her up to bring her home but I didn't expect what would happen next. Daisy and her were both very used to being only children and when they got together I thought there were going to try to kill each other. My mom agreed to keep her for a few weeks and see if they would adjust and a month and a half later our Lilly Ann moved in with me full time and joined our little family. She is our vocal pug who spends lots of time yelling at a random blade of grass that upsets her down by the fence in our yard. Ok...maybe not but we're not really sure what she's actually barking at down there sometimes. It is obvious that red vehicles at the fence or dogs on TV are her real arch nemesis. While she has a lot to bark about she is the first one to snuggle up for a good belly rub anytime you're up for it.

Our little man is getting style lessons from his sisters!!
Last but certainly not least is the man of the house...SORRY BRAD! ;) I had started the pug fever for my friend Jess back in college when she met Winston and she got her first little man Dodge soon after. We lost touch for several years beyond the occasional Facebook post but her puggly little family continued to grow just like mine. :) She began to foster pugs when she moved back to Nebraska and we started talking again. We had a few pug parties at my house and had a grand time seeing her babies and meeting her fosters when she brought Ceaser over. He was an all black pug but about twice the size of our girls. He fit in with our girls and after a few tears I convinced Brad to let him stay overnight....just overnight! You know where this is going....we both fell in love and by the time I was supposed to give him back we had a chat and decided to let this little man join our family. Our Maxwell Nova has been an interesting addition to the family. HAHA! He played his daddy to make him think that he was going to be man's best friend but now we see he is a TOTAL momma's boy! He is always making us laugh when he chases his tail and learns patience when we make him wait to eat his food.

Is this how it's gonna be?!?!
I think I'm done for a while! :-D We're trying to figure out where a child is going to fit in this house but I guess we will figure it out when it's time! That will be another blog for another day!

Stefanie Husak

No comments:

Post a Comment